Many men experience problems related to urination caused by enlargement of the prostate gland, a condition also known as BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). Symptoms include:
- Frequent need to go to the bathroom
- Getting up two or more times during the night to urinate
- Difficulty emptying your bladder completely
- Having the urge to urinate come on suddenly
- Needing to strain or push to start urinating
- Having a weak urine stream
These symptoms may also be caused by other conditions including prostate cancer, and only a medical examination can determine what your situation actually is. BPH, or prostate enlargement, is very common: more than half of men age 50 or older have it, and if you're over 80, you have an 80% chance of having it.
Treatment options include: medications, Urolift, Rezum, TURP and laser resection. The doctors at Urologic Specialists of New England are highly experienced in evaluating prostate conditions, recommending and then performing the most effective treatments for each patients’ individual situation.